Sunday, October 18, 2009

Kaia's World

Kaia's World
Kaia's World
I was surprise that this blog actually started because of a book titled The Child in the Woods. A father trying to reconnect his daughter, Kaia, to the world around her. Little did he know, that he was connecting her not only to her surrounding, but to the entire world. A school in Missouri was reviewing Kaia's world and seeing things from a three year old perspective of the world around her.

Technology is truly changing learning. A blog allowed these kids to connect to Douha the capital of Qatar. On the Persian Gulf next to Bahrain and Dubai. I was able to look up the location using google. I honestly never knew it existed until today. That's what technology allowed me to do today. I do not have map and the library is closed on Sundays. Thank you Google.

These kids are learning not from textbooks but from technology. It opened up a new world for them. They were even able to talked with Kaia's father using Skype. These kids were curious about Kaia's life. They were engaging in a activity that involved discovering the outdoors, learning about other countries and cultures. The knowledge that they acquired from this blogged is not something written in a textbook. It was certainly not in any of my textbooks from school. Did I mention I never heard of Douha before today. See that wasn't in my textbook.

This has open my eyes to a new way of learning. There is no doubt that technology is changing everyday. Therefore, it is sure to have a huge impact on education and the way students are learning. Students are able to explore the entire world. There are no limitation. Textbooks provide the bare minimal ,if you ask me. But technology is like the ocean. It is wide, deep, vast, enormous, there is no end.

3 comments:

  1. I had to look up Qatar too! Nice analogy between technology and the ocean.

    Also, I like your slideshow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading your post!! Technology is changing constantly, it is amazing to know that kids can do what we are learning about!! See you in class Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete